Join us. Sign the vision statement.
Review the Vision Statement below. If you agree, send us a brief letter of support on behalf of your organization endorsing the Statement and indicating your interest in participating (contact information below). Download sample letter of support.
We’ll keep in touch with more details and updates. We will also talk with you about the campaign, your advice about needs and strategies, and the role you would like to play.
We the undersigned share a vision of a Canada where everyone can enjoyably, easily, and safely walk to school, work, play, shopping, and transit.
Our goal: to restore everyday walking as a routine part of our lives by creating conditions in which walking is a positive experience—practical, pleasant, and attractive.
We call on all levels of government, and others who help shape our communities, to join in taking decisive action for walking in the coming months and years.
Walkability will benefit Canadians of all ages, incomes, and abilities—in communities large and small, urban and rural.
Walkability will make Canadians healthier, fitter, and happier.
It will reduce pedestrian injuries and deaths, improve air quality, and support successful transit. It will help create more vibrant, participatory, inclusive, and prosperous neighbourhoods.
The time for action is now. Let’s make Canada a great place to walk!
Download a sample letter of support in Word. Please edit to reflect your organization’s involvement and interest, and your reasons for supporting the campaign.
Please forward letters or inquiries by email to email@example.com.
To date, the following letters of support have been received (listed alphabetically):
- BC Recreation and Parks Association (WalkBC, BEAT)
- Better Environmentally Sound Transportation (BEST) (Vancouver)
- Bowen Island Municipality, BC
- Ecology Ottawa
- Envirocentre (Ottawa)
- Canadian Automobile Association (National)
- Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario
- Citizens 4 Active Transportation (St. Thomas, ON)
- Coalition for a Liveable Sudbury
- Ecology Action Centre (Halifax, NS)
- EcoSuperior (Thunder Bay, ON)
- Environment Network (Collingwood, ON)
- Green Action Centre (Manitoba)
- Green Venture (Hamilton)
- Green Communities Canada
- GreenUP (Peterborough, ON)
- HASTe BC
- Heart and Stroke Foundation
- Montreal Urban Ecology Centre
- North Okanagan Coalition for Active Transportation
- Ontario Healthy Communities Coalition
- Ottawa Safety Council
- Pelham Active Transportation Committee
- Portage la Prairie Active Transportation Committee
- Recreation and Parks Association of the Yukon
- REEP Green Solutions (Waterloo Region)
- Richmond Fitness and Wellness Association (Walk Richmond)
- SHAPE Alberta
- Streets for Everyone (Vancouver)
- Sustainable Calgary
- The Council on Aging Ottawa
- Toronto Centre for Active Transportation
- Toronto Environmental Alliance
- Traffic Injury Research Foundation
- Urban Poling, Inc.
- Victoria Transport Policy Institute
- Walk Edmonton
- Walk ‘n’ Roll Halifax
- WalkON Victoria
- Whitehorse Walks
Sign up for our free newsletter to get connected with Canada's growing walking movement.
Take action for walking and walkable communities – locally, provincially, nationally.